Greetings Fellow Life Travelers:
No gremlins so a significant deposit of chocolate to the Chase office in Truckee. Amazing amount of money – $12B with a B – spent on Hallowe’en this year. Isn’t that rather outrageous? Wonder what gets spent on Christmas? So now the next event is Thanksgiving with lots of attention on family gatherings. Sometimes it’s easier to celebrate together at this holiday than at Christmas. Now we get to hear all about the travel issues later in the month. So far, no significant snow on the immediate horizon for Tahoe (for which I’m most thankful – it will come soon enough). The cold temps, however, have enabled the resorts to start the snow guns, getting ready to open in a few weeks. If you plan to ski at Palisades or Northstar, be sure to secure your parking reservations. And speaking of skiing, for those aficionados, Warren Miller’s new movie – ALL TIME – is bringing 74 years of filmmaking to the screen at Palisades this weekend. Sounds like it will be available for some time. I had dinner with Warren years ago when I was involved with Clif Taylor’s Short Ski School at Squaw. Ah, the memories! Let’s see if there was anything memorable in this last weeks’ real estate report.
Residential Real Estate – week 10/28 – 11/3
- Tahoe Sierra MLS – North/West Shores & Truckee. New Listings – 14; Escrows – 22; Solds – 31
- Incline Village/Crystal Bay MLS. New Listings – 3; Escrows – 4; Solds – 5
- East Shore, NV MLS. New Listings – 3; Escrows – 1; Solds – 3
- Reno/Sparks MLS. New Listings – 86; Escrows – 111; Solds – 114
Looks like things are quieting down. Out of the 22 escrows for Tahoe Sierra, 15 were under $1M. Of the solds, 20 were under $1M. Highest sale this last week was $1.82M. Incline had a nice sale, originally listed at $11.5M, reduced to $9M and sold at $8M. Out of the 114 sales in Reno, only 9 were over $1M. Hans Burkhart’s home in Verdi, originally listed at $2.6M, was reduced to $2.3M and went to escrow.
- Ski Area Opening Dates: Nov 17 – Northstar, Boreal and Heavenly Valley; Nov 22 – Palisades Tahoe; Nov 24 – Sugar Bowl.
- Real Estate Changes. Am sure you’ve seen some of the publicity about potential changes coming to the way a Buyer’s Broker is paid. Typically, when a property is offered through the MLS, it includes a commission percentage that will go to the Buyer’s Broker. That has been challenged by a group of plaintiffs, and the first case was won by them. Lots more to come on this – way too soon to conjecture what it is going to look like and how it will impact buyers and Realtors.
- Amazing Market: Aspen, in the last 365 days, has had 36 sales between $18.500.000 – $73,000,000 per the MLS, plus an off-market at $78 million. Colleague Ann Abernethy
- More amazing sales: Dubai Development sells nearly 800 units – mix of single-family homes and townhomes – on Launch Day. Construction to start second Q of 2024.
- Downtown Truckee Holidays: Nov 17 from 4:30 to 6PM for the annual Tree Lighting and festive start to the holiday season.
- Margaritaville Resort Hotel, South Lake Tahoe. Scheduled to open December 14
- Trees: Per Land Tender, there are 22 million more trees in the Tahoe Basin than a healthy forest should have. Tahoe Fund is investing heavily in burgeoning technologies to increase the pace and scale of forest restoration work.
- HOUSLE: Fun new game. www.Housle.house Guess the price of house presented. Took me 5 tries for the first one I did, then got it right the first time on the second one. So far, can only do one a day, but developer working to increase that.
- Florida overtakes New York as the second biggest US housing market in total valuation. Ranks: #1 CA; #2 FL; #3 NY; #4 TX. Piquet Realty
- New sports game – PADEL: Fast-growing sport becoming another sought-after amenity at luxury residential developments all over the country. Similar in size to pickleball, the court is enclosed on the sides.
- S.N.O.W. Museum Auction, with top prize skiing with Travis Ganong. Ends Nov 10 – check it out. https://tinyurl.com/2u97pfuv
- Third Quarter Tahoe Lakefront Report: Let me know if you’d like a copy.
- Restaurants: Tangerine, French Bistro – same owner as Great Gold – open now in Truckee. Cult Burger in Tahoma touts the best burger ever! And, the Deerfield (Truckee) Starbucks has reopened!
- Currently 562,000 homes on the market in the U.S., fewer than in any recent year. Prices were up .68% August over July.
- Charming view of dog and deer: https://www.facebook.com/reel/808883337368331 (put on sound)
- Beautiful song of unity filmed in 2008 in Haifa – One Day: https://tinyurl.com/5n6d9jp5
- I had a date last night and really enjoyed it. Tonight, I’ll try a fig.
- Not to brag, but I remembered why I went into the other room.
- Don’t let people discourage you. Just fluff out your tutu and dance away.
- No one tests the depth of the river with both feet.
- To lengthen your life, shorten your meals.
- Golf – a good walk ruined.
- Nothing will give you greater peace than minding your own business.
- “You know what music is? God’s little reminder that there’s something else besides us in this universe, a harmonic connection between all living beings, everywhere, even the stars.” Robin Williams
- The Eiffel Tower can be 15cm taller during the summer due to the expansion of the iron in the heat. It contracts back to its regular height when it gets cold.
- A group of crows is called a ‘murder’. A group of flamingos is called a ‘flamboyance”.
- Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
- I’m on a seafood diet. I see food, and I eat it.
- Be like a postage stamp – stick to one thing until you get there.
- Having a dirty mind makes ordinary conversations much more interesting.
- Don’t worry if Plan A fails. There are 25 more letters in the alphabet.
- The telephone or Zoom is a good way to talk to people without having to offer them a drink.
- If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
- “You said in your book that at the end of the day, every politician is human. What about during the day?” Stephen Colbert
- “At my age, getting a second doctor’s opinion is kinda like switching slot machines.” Jimmy Carter
- “In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.” John Adams
- Interesting thought: “The opposite of talking isn’t listening. The opposite of talking is waiting.” Fran Lebowitz
- “A single glass of champagne imparts a feeling of exhilaration. The nerves are braced, the imagination is agreeably stirred, the wits become more nimble. A bottle produces a contrary effect.” Winston Churchill
So, let’s stay exhilarated and with-it! (Well, maybe a second glass would be OK.) Have a great week and see you next time!