Greetings Fellow Life Travelers:
We just couldn’t make it through the year without smoke! The Mosquito fire, still not in any containment with over 30K acres burning, has deposited heavy smoke in the basin and area. It has enabled some cooling down of temps, and we’re expecting mid 80s to high 70s going forward this next week. However, ash is filling the air, covering decks, etc. So far, we are blessed, but those in the fire zone are losing homes and structures. Some rain is predicted; hopefully it will come. So on to what went on this week in real estate.
- Residential Real Estate – week 9/3 – 9/9
- Tahoe Sierra MLS – North/West Shores & Truckee. New Listings – 12; Escrows – 28; Solds – 29
- Incline Village/Crystal Bay MLS. New Listings – 2; Escrows – 8; Solds – 6
- East Shore, NV MLS. New Listings – 3; Escrows – 4; Solds – 3
- Reno/Sparks MLS. New Listings – 125; Escrows – 135; Solds – 91
Overall, we are seeing about half of the solds sell under list price, the rest at-or-above asking. This averages about 100% of sold to list price. In the last couple of years, the list price has been the platform to start negotiation; now the list price is pretty much the ceiling. The holiday weekend resulted in pretty strong escrow activity, so we’ll see how things look as we settle into more normal market activity.
- Local/Real Estate/Luxe
- The Tahoe Rim Trail system stretched over 200 miles, crossing 6 counties, 4 national forests, three wilderness areas, two states and one state park! Over 500,000 people visit and explore the trail annually, per the Tahoe Fund.
- Coffee adventure: An $18 s’mores latte at Felix Roasting Co. in Aspen’s Jerome Hotel.
- New tech for wine connoisseurs…. New York based Baxus will store your collectibles in temp controlled site for curated delivery whenever you want it. It also provides NFT service to catalogue your collection so will have it at your fingertips.
- Old School’s new Cool! Per Robb Report, today’s tastemakers are turning to the penny-loafered, chintz-upholstered, prime-rib vibe of mid-century WASP-dom for unlikely style inspiration, giving old-money aesthetics a 21st-century reboot! Sounds like the focus on extreme modernism is starting to wane!
- Also from Robb Report, big article on Art World’s shady secret – the amazing extent of faux art being sold with or without intent in high circles. If you’re a collector, be sure you are dealing with top tier resources and well documented provenance.
- Charming coastal communities in England are drawing many who can work from home, especially Londoners.
- Andy Warhol: Cars – Works from the Mercedes-Benz Art Collection now on exhibit at the Petersen Automotive Museum in LA. It includes 27 screen prints on canvas and 13 drawings from Warhol’s Cars series alongside five of the classic MB vehicles that inspired the work. Now through January 22, 2023.
- Fallen Leaf Lake is showing up with bad juju at its bottom. Clean Up The Lake has just brought up 3,000# of trash and 100 tires in just one mile! Funded by TIF’s Spike Lemonade and BlueZone Sports with $15K, CUTL is asking for community support to raise another $15K through a GoFundMe campaign to complete the task.
- Dog days of summer. Click Here for Video
- Swooping up the wife. See below. (Kinda makes my tummy bounce!)
- The Queen’s sense of humor. Great watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9g1Q74t4s
- This year, everyone’s age = 2022. Happens once every 1000 years. Your age + year of birth = 2022. Works for everyone. Check it out!
- Only a Dog can go to a party, speak to no one, steal food, fall asleep and still be the most popular guest.
- Blazing Saddles has just been edited for television. It will air tonight from 8:00-8:07 PM.
- Green tea and coffee. By replacing your morning coffee with green tea, you can lose up to 87% of what little joy you still have left in your life.
- “The world is not the most pleasant place. Eventually, your parents leave you and nobody is going to go out of their way to protect you unconditionally. You need to learn to stand up for yourself and what you believe and sometimes, pardon my language, kick some ass.” Queen Elizabeth II
So, kick some ass, and stay smoke and fire free this week. Here’s to better temperature and clear skies! See you next time!