Greetings Fellow Life Travelers:
This week marked the beginning of Philanthropy Weeks for Tahoe! Last Saturday was the Beach Boys performance in Incline Village at a private lakefront home to benefit Tahoe Forest Hospital and its two locations – Truckee and Incline – for a sold-out crowd. On Tuesday, The Hospital hosted a Thankyou/Friend-raising cocktail hour in the garden at Shaffer’s Mill with delightful food by Billy McCullough and music by Ike & Martin. Harry Weiss, the CEO, gave a brief welcome and updated report. Thursday evening was the annual Tahoe Fund benefit dinner, this year at the beach property in Tahoe Vista that will be the future Beach Club of the Waldorf Astoria. More ongoing pledges were made to this organization that has funded over 80 environmental improvement projects throughout the Tahoe Basin. Tahoe Forest Hospital and Barton Memorial Hospital were the major sponsors, and Tahoe Fund produced a great video on the three hospitals that provide services to the Lake Tahoe communities and surrounding areas. Next Saturday will be the League to Save Lake Tahoe’s annual Oscar de la Renta fashion show (Saks Fifth Avenue) and lunch that always generates beaucoup bucks for its great ongoing work to keep our Lake blue.
- Residential Real Estate – week 7/22 – 7/28
- Tahoe Sierra MLS – North/West Shores & Truckee. New Listings – 33; Escrows – 39; Solds – 19
- Incline Village/Crystal Bay MLS. New Listings – 5; Escrows – 8; Solds – 2
- East Shore, NV MLS. New Listings – 4; Escrows – 8; Solds – 3
- Reno/Sparks MLS. New Listings – 113; Escrows – 158; Solds – 116
Interesting switch regarding Tahoe Sierra Escrows: this week 22 were Contingent and 17 went straight to Pending, which means no financial or inspection contingencies. This is unusual, as typically a property goes Contingent (if nothing else, for inspections) before it goes Pending – no contingencies left. A small, cute lakefront in Kings Beach listed at $4.5 went to escrow in about 3 days! Martis Camp had a closing at $10.8M, and Sugar Bowl had an off-market sale – the Butterfly House – at $6.42M. A $9M property on Lakeshore Drive in Incline went to escrow along with two others listed over $6M. Lastly, Reno’s Pennington residence listed at $12.8M went to escrow.
- Local/Real Estate/Luxe
- Palm Beach, FL continues its draw for Ultra High Net Worth buyers. An Intercoastal home, purchased in 2002 for $7.37M and had $4M invested in upgrades and expansion, just sold for $50M. Buyer hasn’t decided whether to update or tear down and rebuild.
- The Hamptons had a wave of bidding wars in nearly 1/3 of all luxury sales in the second quarter of this year.
- Boulder, CO emerged as the top luxury housing contender in the second quarter, a reflection of its growing tech presence.
- Reinventing workspaces are key objectives for companies attracting employees back to the office, focusing on wellness, including libraries, meditation rooms, well-designed job stations and building healthy habits and behaviors.
- The Town of Truckee has a focus on public art. To see what and where, check this out: https://tinyurl.com/35z862rr
- Summertime road construction topic of conversation in the whole area, including Int 80 to Reno. Impacts businesses as there’s not much appetite to take 2 or 3 times longer to get somewhere unless necessary.
- Good read. BURNT: A memoire of Fighting Fire, by Clare Frank. Her story rising from her initial job at age 17 to becoming the first and only, so far, Cal Fire’s female Chief of Fire Protection.
- Free on-demand shuttle service in North Tahoe and Truckee: TART Connect. Download the App at www.tahoetruckeetransit.com. Think free Uber!
- Environmental Dive Center, Incline Village, to open August 14. Clean Up the Lake has created this education and training center that will include environmental curriculum and traditional SCUBA certifications. Its first class of Washoe Tribe students has graduated with vital skillsets to safeguard their ancestral homeland and assist wherever possible in bolstering their own environmental programs.
- Donner Pass Road between Donner Lake and entrance to Sugar Bowl is scheduled to reopen Labor Day weekend, following completion of repairs, slope stabilization and geotechnical studies. Road was closed after a 40-ton rock mass fell into the roadway in June.
- Professional Hockey Team coming to Lake Tahoe. Co-owned by Tim Tebow and David Hodges, it will play in the new Tahoe Blue Events Center at South Lake Tahoe, per ECHL. Visit www.LakeTahoeProHockey.com
- Highest sale for Carmel: The Butterfly House sold for $29M.
- The Difference between a big sister and a big brother. (See below)
- Bread is a lot like the sun. It raises in the yeast and sets in the waist.
- There is nothing scarier than when you lose your balance in the shower and you think “they’re going to find me naked.”
- Paraprosdokians – figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence is unexpected. 1) Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak. 2) War does not determine who is right – only who is left. 3) Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. 4) Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman. 5) Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine. 6) Going to church doesn’t make you a Chistian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.
- A few on the Reverse Bucket List: 1) Extreme skiing 2) Cliff camping 3) Skywalking in the Alps 4) Climbing Redwoods or any escarpment 5) Sitting on the Trolltunga rock in Norway.
- I’ve started investing in stocks: beef, vegetable, chicken. One day I hope to be a bouillianaire.
- It’s Ok to talk to yourself, and ok to answer yourself. But sad when you must repeat what you said because you weren’t listening.
- Medical Definitions: 1) Artery – the study of paintings. 2) Bacteria – Back door to cafeteria. 3) Barium – what doctors do when patients die. 4) Benign – what you be after you be eight. 5) Caesarean Section – A neighborhood in Rome. 6) Cauterize – Made eye contact with her. 7) Dilate – to live long. 8) Pelvis – Second cousin to Elvis.
- You know when you buy a bag of salad & it gets all brown & soggy? Cookies don’t do that.
- Very few people know this, but the little pocket on your jeans is for your paycheck after taxes.
- The officer said, “You drinking?” I said, “You buying?” We just laughed and laughed. I need bail money.
- Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
- A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water. Carl Reiner
- My doctor asked if anyone in my family suffered from mental illness. I said, “No, we all seem to enjoy it.”
- Never laugh at your spouse’s choices. You are one of them.
- Only in math problems can you buy 60 cantaloupes and no one asks what the hell is wrong with you.
Just got some new fodder for Tidbits, so will be back to you next week with more silly input you can’t live without. Enjoy the beautiful summer that is speeding by. See you next time!