Greetings Fellow Life Travelers:
Temps are dropping, and I guess one neighbor is really excited about forthcoming snow as he has his driveway snow poles up! I’m still watering the garden, so not there yet! Had a small dinner party the other night, and friends brought 3 bottles of PRIDE 2018 Cabernet Franc – a real treat from a winery whose owner purchased a property I had listed on behalf of Babyface, the entertainer, some years ago. Don’t think it’s available in stores, so check out this Napa winery on line.
On Friday afternoon, I attended the second of a series of Tahoe Music Alive performances at the Olympic Valley Church (Potato Chip church for savvy Squaw Valleyites). This performance was over the top – Sonatas for Friends – by two renown artists – Alison Lee, pianist and Isaac Pastor-Chermak, cellist. The two sonatas were written for piano and cello only, the first, and original, by Beethoven and the second several years later by Brahms. The acoustics were fabulous, and the performance was magical, sometimes sounding to me like a full orchestra, their power was so great! Check out www.Tahoemusicalive.org for the next concert on November 5.
Residential Real Estate – week 9/16 – 9/22
- Tahoe Sierra MLS – North/West Shores & Truckee. New Listings – 23; Escrows – 32; Solds – 33
- Incline Village/Crystal Bay MLS. New Listings – 4; Escrows – 7; Solds – 11
- East Shore, NV MLS. New Listings – 2; Escrows – 2; Solds – 3
- Reno/Sparks MLS. New Listings – 118; Escrows 125; Solds – 80
Of note, a small lakefront (50’ on water) with 2 buoys, listed on the North Shore for $5.1M. A Brockway Springs lakefront listed at $7.75M went to escrow. Martis Camp led the solds at $8.8M with the rest under $2.5M. For Incline, Old Forge – the prior Steve Wynn 5-acre estate – listed at a whopping $76M, and a compound with lake access, listed originally 640 days ago at $19.3M, currently listed at $11.73M, finally went to escrow.
- Amazing travel this summer may have had an impact on reduced sales across the country with a staggering 227.5 million travelers screened by TSA.
- London’s new Raffles Hotel, with 85 private residences, 9 restaurants, 3 bars and Guerlain’s first London Spa has been built on the historic royal site of Whitehall Palace, Britain’s Old War Office – now dubbed The OWO.
- Two significant properties are now on the market: Charles Schulz’s original studio in Sonoma for $4M, and Ansel Adams’ Arts and Crafts home in San Francisco home for $5.45M.
- Amazing transactions: In Aspen, there have been 6 sales over $40 Million, 5 of which were ‘off market’.
- East Shore trail to expand from Sand Harbor to Spooner Summit! This will include new and expanded parking lots to remove hundreds of cars dangerously parked on the side of the road. www.tahoefund.org/…/east-shore-trail-expansion…/ Tahoe Fund
- Tahoe Blue Event Center will have its grand opening on Sept 29 headlined by PitBull! Exciting sports and live entertainment venue for South Lake Tahoe at Stateline, NV.
- Saturday started the first day of fall, marking the unofficial start of hiking season with over 500 miles of trails in the Tahoe Basin. Tahoe Fund
- Big news/concern: Save Mart in Tahoe City is closing in October. Big mystery as to what will take its place.
- CalFire is using AI in an effort to detect fire before it can spread. Part of a pilot project in partnership with University of San Diego’s ALERTCalifornia System.
- Oktoberfest to be celebrated at Palisades Tahoe on September 30, followed by premier of “Legend Has It”, shot in part at Palisades last ski season.
- Nevada Museum of Art has fascinating new exhibit “The Journey”, by Guillermo Bert. These multi-media and conceptually layered works are reminiscent of “The Warriors”, the terracotta Warriors of the first Chinese emperor of Qin.
- New café – Vous – is the gathering spot for family and friends in Northstar, taking the place of Starbucks next to the ice rink.
- Mr. Allen Swift (Springfield, MA) received this 1928 Rolls-Royce Piccadilly-P 1 Roadster from his father, brand new – as a graduation gift in 1928. He drove it, up until his death in 2010 at the age of 102. He was the oldest, living owner of a car that was purchased new. It was donated to a Springfield Museum after his death. It has 1,070,000 miles on it, still runs like a Swiss watch, dead silent at any speed and is in perfect, cosmetic condition at 82 years of age. (See below)
- Elk. https://www.facebook.com/reel/853805739635882 (Sound on)
- Stand by Me https://www.facebook.com/reel/2573026546190565
- Cool Landing https://www.facebook.com/reel/1972858723100645
- Be so busy improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
- Each time you read a book, a tree smiles knowing there’s life after death.
- Wrinkles only go where smiles have been. Jimmy Buffet
- Hate. It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. Maya Angelou
- Husband and wife had a fight; wife called up her mom and said, “He fought with me again, I am coming to live with you.” Mom said, “No, darling, he must pay for his mistake. I am coming to live with you.”
- Dance like no one is watching, but text and email like it will be read in court one day.
- Jellyfish have survived 650 million years, despite not having a brain. This gives so many people hope.
- Wonder why baby diapers have brand names such as ‘Luvs’, ‘Huggies’ and ‘Pampers”, while undergarments for old people are called ‘Depends’? When babies poop in their pants, people are still gonna Luv’em, Hug’em and Pamper’em. When old people poop in their pants, it ‘Depends’ on who’s in the will.
- If it is true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
- Why is it that when someone tells you there are one billion stars in the universe you believe them, but if they tell you there is wet paint you have to touch it to check?
- Is there ever a day that mattresses are not on sale?
- I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks, so I wondered what do Chinese mothers use, toothpicks?
- I hate when a couple argues in public, and I missed the beginning and don’t know whose side I’m on.
- More Notices: 1) Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead. 2) Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges 3) London Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide. 4) Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures.
- If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have something to do with a shortage of flowers. Doug Larson
- Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. Scott Adams
- Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings. George Will
Go ‘Niners! Have a great week! Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you next time!