Greetings Fellow Life Travelers:
Had a delightful overnight trip to Placerville for our monthly Book Club gathering. From Truckee to Auburn on Int 80, then Hwy 49 through lovely country…including some windy (example of our language where same spelling means two things) roads, lovely small farms, wineries, oak trees, open spaces and charming communities, including Marshall Gold Discovery State Park in Colma. Took me back to my early youth in Woodside when it was totally rural…real ‘country’. Trees along the way haven’t yet turned color, evidently result of our long and wet winter, so in a few weeks that whole ‘gold country’ area will be ablaze. Had a lovely wine tasting overlooking the vineyard before our interesting discussion at dinner of the thought-provoking novel we read – The Measure. Now onto the business of real estate.
Residential Real Estate – week 9/30 – 10/6
- Tahoe Sierra MLS – North/West Shores & Truckee. New Listings – 34; Escrows – 30; Solds – 28
- Incline Village/Crystal Bay MLS. New Listings – 9; Escrows – 7; Solds – 5
- East Shore, NV MLS. New Listings – 3; Escrows – 3; Solds – 8
- Reno/Sparks MLS. New Listings – 101; Escrows – 126; Solds – 95
Tahoe Sierra had a nice escrow in Truckee – a 5-acre estate listed at $6.6M. 25 of the 30 escrows are under $2M, and 23 of the 28 Solds were under $2M. A new listing in Incline Village came on at $14M…nice 2.4-acre lakeview property. A property list at $11.5M in June went to escrow, and a $9M listing sold. On the East Shore, the high sale was a Beach Club condo at $5.25M. For Reno, a $5.85M home went to escrow, and another listed on March 20 sold for $8.25M.
So far this year, there have been 7 sales at/over $10M in the Tahoe Sierra MLS, 5 in Martis Camp and 2 on Lake Tahoe, one at $10M and the other the highest at $16.5M. For Incline/Crystal Bay there have been 4, with the highest a Chase sale – $26M lakefront in Crystal Bay. The East Shore has had 7 over $5M with only one over $10M at $11,2M. Reno has had 4 sales at $5M and up, with the highest another Chase sale at $10.325M.
- ‘Man Cave’ has a new meaning. No more invading the garage with a TV, sofa and popcorn machine, it has a totally new meaning. From cluttered grunge to clean, bright and functional spaces, Garage Living can redo your garage to something special from about $20K to $100K! (See below for a samples.)
The Hangar Group builds ‘premier garage condominiums’ where people can store their vehicles in luxury. Mansion Global
- Speaking of cars – here’s my 5th birthday present when we were living in Woodside and had a nice long driveway for my intro to gas car experience. (See below)
- Did you know that Lake Tahoe is over a mile high? The lake’s natural rim is at 6,223 feet, which is 1.15 miles above sea level. Surrounding mountain peaks top out at nearly 11,000 feet. Tahoe Fund
- Fabulous properties. These exist across the globe, and at all different price ranges. My mind boggles when I see the offerings each week. So, here’s a plug – if you have any interest in any property anywhere, let me know, because I have connections! Even in exotic reaches. Try me!
- Kokanee Salmon run! In motion now at Taylor Creek, South Lake Tahoe. Not sure for how long, so jump on it now!
- African Safari of interest? Check out this fascinating interview with a tour provider that does it a little differently than most. This will be my choice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJx-s4u_T-0
- Luxury Report. In spite of our challenging economy, leading luxury brands are increasing their retail footprint, adding 650,000 sq. ft. of retail space in the past 12 months. Luxury sales in the U.S. reached $70B in 2022, up 9% from 2021. Who wudda thought? Forbes
- Tat Report: 11% of Americans have one tattoo, 22% have more than one. 38% of women have at least one, 27% of men do. 33% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents have a tat, while it’s 32% for Repuclian and Republican-leaners. Finally, 24% regret getting inked. Elliott Eisenberg
- Lake Tahoe’s water has been tested at 99.99% pure, which is cleaner than most commercially-distilled water. In fact, water suppliers who raw from deep within the lake aren’t even required to filter it before delivering the water to local customers. Google
- History! Truckee has 3 museums – Museum of Truckee History in the train station, Old Jail Museum and the Truckee Railroad Museum. All three cover the incredible history of the area, preserving its rich heritage from the ice industry, California’s first true lager beer, the beginning of winter sports, and building the Transcontinental Railroad to the incredible logging that took place many years ago.
- A Star is Born – Shallow https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1014323183308881
- “I have lived a thousand lives and I’ve loved a thousand loves. I’ve walked on distant worlds and seen the end of time. Because I read.” George R. R. Martin
- “I remain just one thing, and one thing only, and that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician.” Charlie Chaplin
- It all begins and ends in your mind. What you give power to has power over you, if you allow it. Positive Energy
- Why isn’t the number 11 pronounced onety-one?
- Why do they put pictures of criminals in the Post Office? What are we supposed to do, write to them? Why don’t they just put their pictures on the postage stamps so the mailmen can look for them while they deliver the mail?
- Why do banks charge a fee due to insufficient funds when they already know you are broke?
- When you can’t control what’s happening, challenge yourself to control the way you respond to it. That’s where your power lies.
- More Notices: 1) Kids make Nutritious Snacks. 2) Local High School Dropouts cut in half. 3) Hospitals are sued by 7 Foot Doctors. 4) New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group. 5) Man Struck by Lightning: Faces Battery Charge.
- A loan at a bank can take 30 years to pay off. If you rob a bank, you’re out in 10 years (and no mortgage). Follow me for more financial advice.
- “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” Buddha
- Breaking News: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get the Heck Over It. Any complaints about how we operate can be forwarded to 1-800-waa-waaa. This is Dr. Sniffle Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Fussin’.
- “You’ll never find a rainbow if you’re looking down.” Charlie Chaplin
- “My definition of a redundancy is an air-bag in a politician’s car.” Larry Hagman
- Some people might say, “Who would want to be 90?” And I say, “Anyone who is 89.” Phyllis Diller
- A man on a date wonders if he’ll get lucky. The woman already knows. Monica Piper
- “I’m not offended by dumb blonde jokes because I know that I’m not dumb. I also know I’m not blonde”. Dolly Parton
Guess I can say the same thing about myself! Enjoy the beautiful fall weather, and see you next time!