Greetings Fellow Life Travelers:
Great turnout for Truckee’s 20th annual Walk, Walk and Shop afternoon! Weather was perfect, the train tracks provided entertainment as work to upgrade the tracks was happening along with the normal train activity, and food and drink was abundant and well-received! Chase International was the main sponsor with signature glasses and shopping bags, and our office was a hit offering Aptos Wines (for the second year) and an outrageous Mac & Cheese prepared by Fuddism Catering. On Thursday evening, I attended this year’s Truckee Haunted Tour – about a 2-hr walking tour showcasing some of Truckee’s past characters and events with volunteer performers and guides. This sell-out event is two nights with multiple tours each evening. We finished it off with a great dinner at bustling Moody’s Bistro. The rest of the month will be totally focused on Hallowe’en as that’s the second most important annual event in this country. (Not sure what that says about us.) Forget the kids, some of my friends are working on costumes. So now, reality – the real estate market.
Residential Real Estate – week 10/7 – 10/14
- Tahoe Sierra MLS – North/West Shores & Truckee. New Listings – 27; Escrows – 20; Solds – 24
- Incline Village/Crystal Bay MLS. New Listings – 5; Escrows – 4; Solds – 10
- East Shore, NV MLS. New Listings – 2; Escrows – 6; Solds – 2
- Reno/Sparks MLS. New Listings – 127; Escrows – 115; Solds – 68
The Chase lakefront that came on the market at $8M on the North Shore a couple of weeks ago went to escrow…no surprise to me! Older home with great pier/deck over lift/2 buoys – what’s not to love?! Rest of the market average/lack-luster this last week. Reno had fewer closings than we usually see.
- Hallowe’en without Kitsch. Go for neutral colors with pops of color; remove bright, garish colors. Add black-toned, dark gray or amber hints through throw pillows, blankets, candles. Think warm and cozy. Incorporate gold touches, maybe dried florals that can go to holly leaves when winter comes. Mansion Global
- Ft. Lauderdale just had a record-breaking sale at $40M. A Honolulu Penthouse just sold for record $27.5M.
- New Jersey 16,000 sq.ft. home, built in 2012 for $16M with 47,000 sheets of 22-karat gold leaf, is on the market for $9.995M. Eat your heart out, Donald.
- Homewood Resort. Public pressure has induced JMA and Discovery Land to modify their intent to privatize Homewood Resort. There will still be lifetime memberships available, but the long-time local ski resort will still be available to locals. And, the move to create totally modern-mountain structures has been returned to the original concept of lovely mountain structures (this doesn’t have to mean carved bears – we have enough of the real ones anyway!). More to come on all of this! In the meantime, continue to ski Homewood!
- Ski resort openings: Thanksgiving is always the target, so most will be open by then. Annual improvements are always highlighted, focused on a better-and-better customer experience! I’m not ready for snow, so no more info on any of that right now.
- Old Woody. We love the old ‘woody’ boats, but how about this?? (See below)
- Tahoe Trail Lovers: Tahoe Fund is doing a lot to improve trail access in the Basin. Check it out: www.tahoefund.org.
- Dog. There are assembly instructions. Someone didn’t read them. (See below)
- Excitement building! Coming soon on the West Shore is Shadyside Lounge, almost next door to Sunnyside Resort! This full bar will feature Mexican food, per posting on Nextdoor.
- Robin on earthquakes: https://www.facebook.com/reel/101906449679724
- Many think the grass is greener somewhere else. The grass is greener where you water it.
- I love my new senior GPS. It tells me where I am and why I am here.
- If people evolved from apes, why are there still apes?
- Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator with hope that something new to eat will have materialized?
- How do dead bugs get into the enclosed light fixtures?
- Sign in front of funeral parlor: Drive Safely. We’ll wait.
- Whatever happened to Preparations A through G?
- “My pain may be the reason for somebody’s laugh. But my laugh must never be the reason for somebody’s pain.” Charlie Chaplin
- Sign on restaurant: “Don’t stand there and be hungry; come on in and get fed up.”
- “Husbands are like fires. They go out when unattended.” Zsa Zsa Gabor
- “The vice of capitalism is that it stands for the unequal sharing of blessings; whereas the virtue of socialism is that it stands for the equal sharing of misery.” Winston Churchill
- “All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.” Red Skelton
- “When I was a boy, my mother wore a mood ring. When she was in a good mood, it turned blue. In a bad mood it left a big red mark on my forehead.” Jeff Shaw
- “A suburban mother’s role is to deliver children – obstetrically once and by car forever after.” Peter De Vries
- “They say that women talk too much. If you have worked in Congress, you know that the filibuster was invented by men.” Clare Boothe Luce
- Sandwiches: “The bread must be wafer-thin. It is nothing more than a vehicle to convey the filling to the stomach.” Winston Churchill
- Iceland has an app to make sure you’re not dating a relative. It’s called “ÍslendingaApp” or the “Icelandic App.”
- “Why is it that if you blow in a dog’s face, he gets mad at you, but if you take him for a car ride, he sticks his head out the window?” Robin Williams
Have a lovely week! Looks like we’ll be in the 70s at Tahoe!