Greetings Fellow Life Travelers:
On Thursday, I had a delicious lunch at the Pink House in Genoa, NV, with two old friends…our newly, mostly annual catch-up. This historic and charming town is in the middle of ranch country so, in addition to driving along the lake-like-glass, I got my cow and open space fix along with more showcase of golden aspens. (Found this cool shot of the deteriorating sheepherder’s cabin on Brockway Road – see below). After that, visited a new condo project in Carson City that one of our Chase Realtors has developed – Silver Crest Condominiums – with luxury trappings and finishes for three choices of 2- and 3-bedroom units, all with spacious 2-car garages and 10’ ceilings – $505,000 to $615,000. Carson City has, among others, Costco, Trader Joe’s, Walmart and Home Depot, plus a huge variety of boutiques and restaurants and, of course, a lot of history. EZPZ drive to Reno International Airport as well as Lake Tahoe. And, I paid $4.47 for gas when Incline has just reduced to $5.99 and the CA side stays at $6.29. No, I’m not moving, but this shows a nice opportunity for brand new product on the Nevada side – no personal income tax. Now we’ll look at this last week’s real estate action in the Region.
Residential Real Estate – week 10/14 – 10/20
- Tahoe Sierra MLS – North/West Shores & Truckee. New Listings – 23; Escrows – 15; Solds – 33
- Incline Village/Crystal Bay MLS. New Listings – 5; Escrows – 4; Solds – 2
- East Shore, NV MLS. New Listings – 5; Escrows – 2; Solds – 5
- Reno/Sparks MLS. New Listings – 149; Escrows – 154; Solds – 86
Not too much activity in the high end this week. The highest sale for all MLSs was a Brockway Springs lakefront for asking price of $7.5M. Another small lakefront closed at its asking price of $4.5M, also on the North Shore.
- Aspens are the most popular deciduous trees in Tahoe. Not only are their bright yellow leaves a crowd favorite, but in Tahoe’s conifer-dominated forests, they are the most prevalent trees with leaves. Where is your favorite place to see the fall colors? Tahoe Fund
- Incline Village groceries: Grocery Outlet is scheduled to open Nov 2 at the old Village Market site. Same owner as the one in Truckee. Natural Grocers is under construction on Tahoe Blvd so, with Raley’s, that community will have three choices!
- Old Lumberyard: Construction is now underway at the original Tahoe Truckee Lumber Company site to create an open-air community gathering spot. Expected to open summer 2024, it will include retail and food service.
- Interest rates are at a 23-year high. Instead of skirting the market, now is a good time to buy. Once rates have a 5 in front of them, the market will flood and prices will go up at least 10%. Barbara Corcoran
- Singapore’s New Hot Property: Shophouses, built during the colonial era of the 1840s to 1960s, featuring ornate, colorful facades, served as either living quarters or storefronts. 6,500 historic shophouses have conservation status, and prices have hit a record $4,016 per square foot. Mansion Global
- Home sales are on track for slowest year since housing bust in 2008. Most homes sold in one year – 2005 – totaled over 7 million. 2021 saw over 6 million, 2022 hit 5 million and, through August 2023, we’re less than 3 million. Wall Street Journal (See attached)
- Northstar ski season parking: Like Palisades, Northstar will implement reservations-based paid parking on weekends and holidays/peak periods. Castle Peak lot will remain free, no reservations required.
- Donner Lake Witches’ Paddle: Join us for a Witches Paddle on Donner Lake! HAUNT THE LAKE.
Wear Your Witches Garb, a Pointy Hat and a bring your best Cackle! 11:30 AM to 1PM, Sunday, Oct 29.
- Amazing horse & trainer! https://tinyurl.com/4eee55k9 (Fun, put sound on.)
- I miss the 90s when bread was still good for you, and no one knew what kale was.
- Welcome to Tahoe: Winter is at 6AM; Spring starts at 10AM; Summer is at 2PM; Fall starts around 4:30PM.
- Every moment there are miracles around us: a flower blossoming, a bird tweeting, a bee humming, a raindrop falling, a snowflake floating. There is magic everywhere! Inner Engineering: A Yogi’s Guide to Joy
- No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, show up and never give up.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger to Clint Eastwood: “Happy Birthday, Clint! You’ve inspired me, you’ve mentored me, and you’re a wonderful friend. At 93, you prove that heroes don’t retire – they reload. You’re a legend.”
- Robin Williams: 1) “I’m sorry, if you were right, I’d agree with you.” 2) If it’s the Psychic Network, why do they need a phone number?” 3) “Do you think God gets stoned? I think so…look at the platypus.”
- The shortest war in history was between Britain and Zanzibar on Augst 27, 1896. It lasted for only 38 minutes.
- Did you know that honey never spoils? Archaeologists have found pots of honey in ancient Egyptian tombs that are over 3,000 years old and still perfectly edible.
- Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?
- You’re not grown up until you know how to communicate, apologize, be truthful and accept accountability without blaming someone else.
- “Bless me Father, for I have sinned. I have been with a loose girl.” The priest asks, “is that you, little Joey Pagano?” “Yes, Father, it is.” “And who was the girl you were with?” “I can’t tell you, Father, I don’t want to ruin her reputation.” “Well, Joey, I’m sure to find out her name sooner or later so you may as well tell me now. Was it Tina Minetti?” “I cannot say.” “Was it Teresa Mazzarelli?’ “I’ll never tell.” “Was it Nina Capelli?” “I’m sorry, but I cannot name her.” “Was it Cathy Piriano?” “My lips are sealed Father.” “Well then, was it Rosa DiAngelo?” “Please, Father, I cannot tell you.” The priest sighs in frustration. “You’re very tight lipped, and I admire that. But you’ve sinned and have to atone. You cannot be an altar boy now for 4 months. Now you go and behave yourself.” Joey walks back to his pew, and his friend Franco slides over and whispers, “What’d you get?” “Four months’ vacation and five excellent leads.”
- A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman’s birthday but never remembers her age. Robert Frost
- “My doctor recently told me that jogging could add years to my life. I think he was right. I feel ten years older already.” Milton Berle
With that, I’ll check my new Fitbit for steps so far today. Looks like we’re in for temperature drop into the 50s and freezing at night. Guess it will be time to shut down landscape water and put away the summer pillows. Our lovely fall colors will wane as nature preps for winter. So, stay snuggy in the season change, and see you next time!