Greetings Fellow Life Travelers:
The sun is out and temps rising! Still large lumps of snow yet to melt, but getting there. Catch-up week for me after being gone all last week. Saw my first boat this season being trailered up Brockway Summit on the way to the Lake. With Memorial Weekend two weeks away, we’ll see lots of that activity from now on. Calendars for all kinds of summer events are being distributed as we head towards June. Although it doesn’t look like we’ll have rafting on the Truckee between Tahoe City and River Ranch this summer, both IRIE Rafting Co. and Tahoe Whitewater Tours will have guided tours on the Truckee River from Truckee east toward Reno. One spot well loved by residents and visitors alike – the Hyatt Regency’s Beach Cottages, Lone Eagle Grill, and beach – will not be open this year as that portion of the property, now owned by Larry Ellison, will be under renovation. For an informative history on efforts to Keep Tahoe Blue, watch this 9-min video: https://www.keeptahoeblue.org/landing-65th-anniversary-video/ When you see what plans were on the table for Tahoe before the League and TRPA were created, we can be very grateful for these organizations….in spite of periodic frustrations getting things done! Now to check out real estate action this past week.
- Residential Real Estate – week 5/6 – 5/12
- Tahoe Sierra MLS – North/West Shores & Truckee. New Listings – 46; Escrows – 18; Solds – 8
- Incline Village/Crystal Bay MLS. New listings – 7; Escrows – 4; Solds – 3
- East Shore, NV MLS. New Listings – 6; Escrows – 5; Solds – 4
- Reno/Sparks MLS. New Listings – 133; Escrows – 156; Solds – 82
Definite uptick in new listings, especially in the TSMLS! Not surprising as temps warm, snow melts and sellers get ready for a strong season. Dollar Point listed a big view home at $5M, and a West Shore split-lakefront listed at $5.9M sold for $5.3M. In Reno, one of our agents just listed a beautiful home for $4.499M – nice number for that City. As we approach Memorial Day weekend, we’ll have more listings to sell. Sale prices for the TSMLS were 97% of list this week, still a consistent percentage. Prices are not going down!
- Local/Real Estate/Luxe
- Town of Truckee 2040 General Plan was approved by the Town Council last week, completing a five-year process that wasn’t without challenge! Included in the plan, among numerous items, are 150 new policies, 175 action items and review of the Master Plan for Tahoe Forest Hospital as it outlines its expansion. In addition to being on the Hospital Foundation Board, I join most of us who are concerned about our health system and the future of its existence in our community. Tahoe Forest (connected to UC Davis) was just awarded continuing accreditation as a Critical Access Hospital, a role model for rural hospitals in the United States. Our Gene Upshaw Tahoe Forest Cancer Center is over the top!
- Beverly Hills new listing at $16.995M – home where Bugsy Siegel was gunned down in his living room as he was perusing The New York Times. Current seller has owned it for over 20 years and restored it to its early elegance.
- Grow Your Own Festival – UC Davis celebrates the joys and benefits of edible gardening at high elevation. Tahoe City Field Station – June 2, 3pm – 7pm; Slow Food Garden in Truckee – June 3, 11pm – 2pm; Tallac Historic Site, South Lake Tahoe – June 10, 11am – 2pm. High elevation seedling sale and edible gardening demos.
- Lakefront activity. With very low inventory so far, pleased to announce a Chase sale in Crystal Bay at $26M and three more properties over $20M in escrow. The market should be robust this summer!
- Livin’ La Vida Logo: Currently there are 700 branded residence developments either on the market or in construction across the Globe, with double that anticipated by 2027. Not for the feint of heart, depending on price, attributes are over the top. Marriott has had two at Tahoe – North and South Shores – for some time; Waldorf Astoria will be coming next! Robb Report
- Intriguing Cruise: Book Ponant’s new expedition icebreaker, world’s only Polar Class 2-rated cruise ship, second only to research and military vessels in ability to maneuver Arctic conditions. From $38,190 – $89,170 per person, double occupancy, for 17 days. Robb Report
- Back on Track: Another luxurious travel experience – Venice Simplon-Orient-Express (VSOE). In a world of ultra-luxury rail cruises, one night in a 100-year-old sleeper car can set you back more than $15K, and these cars are selling out months in advance. Robb Report
- Resort Living: For a glimpse at a less expensive opportunity for vacation home ownership, check out my latest YouTube:
- Protect your real estate. Glaring uptick in fraudulent sales of vacant lots and homes. “Sellers” call to list with urgency, usually from a distance, with seemingly legitimate information. Our area and offices have been contacted but astute agents are mindful and verifying identity by contacting the mailing address on public records. Properties free and clear or with low mortgages are vulnerable, including those occupied. New protection program is now available – Equity Protect – for a nominal fee. This is the only program available that will stop a transaction before it’s completed; other notices come after the fact…once the property has sold. LMK if you’d like more information.
- Cat hatches eggs – pretty amazing! https://tinyurl.com/mn8h9hnh
- None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after-thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’ no time for anything else. Keanu Reeves
- ‘No Trespassing’ sign: You would be better off sand papering a lion’s ass in a pair of pork chop panties than being caught on the other side of this fence.
- Quotes from actual performance evaluations: 1) I would not allow this employee to breed. 2) This associate is really not so much of a has-been but more of a definitely won’t be. 3) He would be out of his depth in a parking lot puddle. 4) This employee should go far – and the sooner the better. 5) This employee is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot. 6) He sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.
- Have you ever noticed that people won’t take the time to look up important information but they’ll spend 15 minutes taking a quiz to find our what kind of potato they are?
- Did you know that if you garden in your back yard naked, your neighbors will build you a privacy fence for absolutely no cost to you.
- They slipped behind the barn and quickly removed each other’s harness. There, with nothing to rein them in, it would be a night of unbridled passion. 50 Shades of Hay
- Will Rogers. 1) The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for. 2) I don’t know how I got over the hill without getting to the top. 3) You know you’re getting older when everything either dries up or leaks.
- Mother taught me about Envy: There are millions of less fortunate children in the world who don’t have wonderful parents like you do.
- Mother taught me about Behavior Modification: Stop acting like your father.
- The human mind is like a TV set. When it goes blank, it’s a good idea to turn off the sound.
- Balancing the budget is like going to heaven. Everybody wants to do it, but nobody wants to take the trip. Phil Gramm
- Telling a teenager the facts of life is like giving a fish a bath. Arnold Glasow
- Husbands are like fires. They go out when unattended. Zsa Zsa Gabot
- A woman is like a teabag. You can’t tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. Nancy Reagan
Enough nonsense for this week! Hope you’ve had a lovely Mother’s Day weekend. Enjoy the beautiful weather, get some sunshine, and get ready for a welcome summer! See you next time!