Greetings Fellow Life Travelers:
No new snow this week but temps are staying low, so the resorts must be in heaven keeping what we’ve received so far along with what they’re making. Starting to see Christmas lights pop up, and Friday the Town of Truckee lit its big tree and installed the cute little trees that the children decorate for the holidays. If you come to Truckee for any shopping, be sure to check out the windows at Gratitudes. Sounds like retail is still doing well in general, so hopefully this will be a strong season for our local purveyors. Shop locally, whichever community you visit! Now let’s see what real estate shopping took place this last week.
- Residential Real Estate – week 11/12 – 11/18
- Tahoe Sierra MLS – North/West Shores & Truckee. New Listings – 11; Escrows – 17; Solds – 27
- Incline Village/Crystal Bay MLS. New Listings – 4; Escrows – 4; Solds – 1
- East Shore, NV MLS. New Listings – 3; Escrows – 2; Solds- 0
- Reno/Sparks MLS. New Listings – 66; Escrows – 115; Solds – 88
Things quieted down even more this week – not too unusual as it’s a week before the Thanksgiving holiday. A Fleur du Lac unit went into escrow – first activity there since 2020 when I had the last sale.
- Local/Real Estate/Luxe
- New Visitor Center & Amphitheater at Spooner Lake Park just opened! It’s on Hwy 28 a little before intersection with Hwy 50 and is a trailhead to 60 miles of trails and 13,000 acres of wilderness. Tahoe Fund
- Christmas Tree permits – only 500 remain from USFS – Lake Tahoe Basin. For info: https://www.tahoefund.org/uncategorized/christmas-tree-permits-for-tahoe/
- Edgewood Tahoe has just opened the first of its two-, three- and five-bedroom lakefront Villa Suites with kitchens or kitchenettes, private patios, firepits and individual outdoor spas. Next to the hotel, those services are available to Villa guests.
- Lake Tahoe is on Fodor’s Travel ‘No for 2023”. Citing crowded beaches and trails, traffic and threats to the lake’s clarity, it’s recommending other nature-related places for travel next year. This will obviously get some push-back from local leadership! (Some of us might not mind too much!)
- Ski area updates: Impressive presentation by the three women leaders of Sugar Bowl/Royal Gorge (Brigitte Legnavksy), Palisades Tahoe (Dee Byrne) and Northstar (Amy Ohran). All three resorts show lift, facility and amenity improvements, focus on sustainability and environmental protections, workforce housing and community philanthropy. Transportation to/from Palisades and Northstar being worked on. New Gondola between SV and Alpine scheduled to open Dec 17.
- Luxury Mobility goes Mobile! We’re familiar with the car thing…Uber, Lyft, ride share, etc. How about motorcycles, private jets (Flewber for one-way or RT transport for up to 16 people), vessels (Click & Boat for one). Just pick up the phone while enjoying your Pumpkin Spice latté. Robb Report
- Open Table’s top North Tahoe restaurants: Daniel’s (French) – Genoa, NV; Le Bistro Tahoe (French American) – Incline Village; Stella at Cedar House (Global/International) – Truckee; Christy Hill (Californian) – Tahoe City; The Sawyer at Schaffer’s Mill Club (American) – Truckee; The Lodge Restaurant & Pub (Contemporary American) – Tahoe Donner/Truckee. Not sure why Trokay – Truckee wasn’t on the list.
- Tootsing up your kitchen and bath? Black fixtures as in handles, drawer pulls, faucets are in!
- Real Estate prediction from Lawrence Yun, NAR’s economist: Home prices will rise 1% and sales will dip 7% in 2023 before making a comeback in 2024. That doesn’t mean we’ll see a market like we had in 2020 and 2021 – just a rational return to a good market.
- You think our prices are off the chart? How about this 360 s.f. 1BR, 1BA fully updated home in Nantucket on the market for $2,095,000. It’s in the middle of very high-priced homes…a neighbor is on the market for $22M. On .03-acre, there’s room to add another 260 s.f. Wonder who will bite?
- Eagle Rescue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Gn2E3Dhpk
- Thanksgiving counsel. (see below)
- When women reach a certain age, they start accumulating dogs. This is known as Manypaws
- On the way to bed, ring your doorbell. This will clear the dogs off the bed so you can get in.
- A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
- The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first.
- God gave you toes as a device for finding furniture in the dark.
- When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of twelve people who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty.
Thanks to all of you who read my weekly Update! I love doing it, especially since I get such a nice response. Readership usually runs in the over 60% range, which is gratifying! Have a lovely Thanksgiving – we have so much to be grateful for!
See you next time!